Upping The Chinese Dessert Game, The Ultimate Ginkgo Barley Yuba Recipe!
Though this Chinese dessert seems quite common but not everyone manage to make it right. My mother always made me this when I was still a kid. Learning the secret from my mum, here is my version of it that I have perfected!
Can be serve hot or cold
| Serve 6 | Difficulty Easy | Prep. Time 15 Min | Cooking Time 120 Min | Total Time 2 Hour 15 Min |
4 liters water
200 g Barley
100 g ginkgo
200 g yuba (dissolve-able)
1 knot pandan leaf
sugar to taste
evaporated milk to serve (optional)
- Deshell ginkgo and peel the outer membrane.
- Cut ginkgo into half and remove the inner seed. Wash with clean water, strain and set aside.
- Clean barley with clean water, strain and set aside.
- Wash pandan leaf under running water to remove any dirts. Tie into a knot.
- Check yuba for any impurities and crush them into smaller pieces.
- Put 4 liters of clean water into your pot and switch to high heat.
- Put all the ingredients into the pot.
- Once it is boiling, switch to medium low and simmer for 2 hours.
- At the end of cooking, add sugar to taste according to your personal preferences.
- Once sugar has fully dissolve, remove from heat and serve
- Scoop generous amount of barley, some ginkgo into a clean bowl.
- Scoop the liquid into the bowl.
- Dish evaporated milk into the dessert at approximately one tenth of the dessert amount.
- Alternatively, let the dessert chill under room temperature. Then store in fridge for 4 hours or more and serve cold.
- The inner seed of the ginkgo deliver a slight bitter flavor. Removing the seed removes the bitterness.
- Evaporated milk gives an extra creaminess to flavor and improve texture, making the dessert smoother.
- There is a few types of Yuba, only use the dissolve-able yuba for making dessert.
Here are a few tips to purchase high quality fully dissolvable Yuba
- Trusted seller.
- It feels slightly greasy/oily to your touch.
- It is slightly elastic.
- Ask the seller that the beans are from America and the bean’s outer membrane are removed during production.
I am sorry that this post was not helpful for you!
Help me improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?