Growing in Kuala Lumpur, as most of the Chinese family here, we have definitely eaten the famous Hainanese Chicken Chop from Yut Kee. With that flavor deeply embedded in my memories, I made this Hainanese Chicken Chop recipe that is exactly like the real deal.
Brown Gravy Hainanese Chicken Chop is the Ultimate Comfort Food
Author have a say…
Though it is well known in Malaysia as Hainanese Chicken Chop, this dish wasn’t originated from China. In fact, it was created by the Hainan people that migrated to Malaysia. When I was a kid, my parents often would bring us to the famous Yut Kee Restaurant for their Hainanese Chicken Chop. A huge piece of fried chicken served with a generous amount of brown sauce and some wedges. Here is my recipe simple enough for you to do it yourself at home too!
Source : Yut Kee
Chicken Chop Recipe the Hainanese Style
- 5 tbsp Brown Stock Powder (any brand would do - brown stock, brown sauce powder, etc)
- 2 pcs Tomato
- 200 g Potato
- 2 pcs Onion (red)
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 pcs Bay Leaf (optional)
- 1 liters Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp Sugar (to taste)
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 pcs Boneless Chicken Leg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 nos Egg
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Pre-Mix Fry Chicken Powder (to coat chicken - any brands would do)
- Cooking Oil (to deep fry)
This is a free content
I have to run Ads
- Clean and cut potato, tomato, and onion.
- Preheat stockpot with cooking oil.
- Add sliced red onion and fry to aromatic.
- Add water.
- Add brown stock powder and dissolve it with a whisk or spatula.
- Add chopped tomato, potato, green peas, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season gravy with salt and sugar.
- Set aside the gravy.
- With a mixing bowl, add salt, sugar, water, cooking oil, and egg. Mix together to dissolve salt and sugar.
- Add boneless chicken into the marinade and marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Put a generous amount of pre-mix fry chicken powder into a tray.
- Bring the marinated chicken into the tray and coat marinated chicken with pre-mix fry chicken powder to a dry coating.
- To deep-fry chicken, preheat cooking oil to high heat.
- Put the coated chicken into the oil with the skin side down.
- Once the outer layer of the chicken begins to crisp, lower the heat to medium-low.
- Fry to 8 minutes.
- Check doneness of the chicken by poking through it. As long it goes through smoothly and there is no blood flowing out, then it is cooked through.
- Place a generous amount of vegetables from the gravy on the side of the plate.
- Gently place the fried chicken on the center of the plate, slightly slanted over the vegetables.
- Pour a generous amount of brown gravy over the chicken and serve.