Due to the ongoing Brown Sugar Boba Pearls trends, I though of why don’t I make my own Boba Pearls at home rather than spending so much for a cup of Brown Sugar Boba Pearls drinks? Boba pearls drinks has become easily available everywhere. From night markets to shop-lots to shopping malls. Brown Sugar Boba Pearls is the improve version of the original boba pearls, read on to learn how to make boba pearls at home!
The Latest Drink Trend is the Boba Milk Tea! Squishy, Super Chewy Boba Pearls!
Boba rose to fame in Taiwan – Here is what happened
In Chinese, the word “波巴” pronounced as boba, is a combination of bubble and big which is a Taiwanese sland for “big breasts” or “buxom lady”.
It all started from one small tea shop owner in an attemtp to make his tea stall stands out than the rest, so he made his tapioca pearls double in size to as what we enjoyed, now everywhere, naming his pearls boba. Out of the blue, this become a common term used to desribe the drink, hence, Boba Pearls Milk Tea was created.
Homemade Boba Pearls VS Commercial Boba Pearls
The commercially produce boba pearls for chain businesses contain a lots of additives, to name a few;
- Sulfuric Acid – a blenching agent and helps in speeding up the process of making flour.
- Aluminium Sulfate – to increase the viscosity of the flour.
- Sulfur Dioxide – to separate the starch from unwanted substances and also regulate the microbial and enzymatic reactions.
- Chlorine – to disinfect the flour for a purer form of flour as well as bleaching properties.
Why add additives to boba pearls?
- Be able to have a long shelf-life
- Keep in room temperature enviroment
- Stable, quick and easy to be use
- Lower the risk of food contamination
Whereas Homemade Boba Pearls Recipe are made with just a few simple ingredients
They are sugar and tapioca starch. Yes, only these two. Imagine a lot lesser addictive (which also means toxic) into your body. The only single reason and also the valid reason that everyone should make their own Boba Pearls at home!
Author have a say…
Now it comes the era of Boba Pearl Milk drink after the Cheese Tea craze in China. Boba simply stands for the pearls that are made with dark brown sugar and what makes it differ than the regular pearls is that they are much chewier and the sweetness kicks from the dark brown sugar make them really addictive! And guys, here is how you can make your own boba pearls at home! Super super easy!
There is also Colorful Boba Pearls made of Fruits!
Source : Wiki
How to make Boba Pearls Recipe from Scratch!
Raw Boba Pearls Dough
- 1 Cup Water (hot)
- 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 & 1/2 Cups Tapioca Flour
To Braise Boba Pearls
- 4 Cups Water (hot)
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
This is a free content
I have to run Ads
Make Raw Boba Pearls
- With a clean pot, add boiling water and dark brown sugar in.
- Melt the dark brown sugar by stirring the mixture.
- Once it is melted, add tapioca starch and mix it until there is no more lump.
- Then over a low heat, cook the mixture. Continuously stir it with a spatula to prevent bottom from stick and burn.
- Cook until the mixture all stick together forming sort of like a dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a clean working surface and scrap all the sticky bits on the pot and spatula.
- The dough would be quite warm but still workable with your hands.
- Knead the dough as you fold it those tiny bits. Knead until the dough is smooth.
- Thoroughly roll the into an elongated shape.
- Cut it into a few pieces. Cover them with a damp cloth.
- Take a piece of dough and roll it into 1cm diameter.
- Then cut it into 1cm in length.
- Roll them between your palms into round shape and you have raw boba pearls.
- Generously sprinkle tapioca starch into a clean container, transfer all the raw boba pearls into the container and coat the boba pearls with tapioca starch.
- Repeat step (11) to step (14) until all the dough pieces is done.
Cooking Boba Pearls
- Bring a pot of 4 liters water to a boil.
- Add raw boba pearls into boiling water and bring it back to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, transfer the cooked boba pearls into an ice water.
Braising Boba Pearls
- In a pot, add boiling water and dark brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil and stir occasionally to prevent bottom from sticking and burn.
- As it is being boiled add all the cooked boba pearls into the sugar mixture.
- Once its reached a full boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then remove from heat and let it chill for 15 minutes.
- Serve with your preferred drinks.