Sichuan Fish-Flavored Sauce Recipe
Yu Xiang 鱼香 literally translated as fish-flavored, a famous sauce originated from Sichuan, China. Despite this sauce actually have no seafood or any fish ingredients. It was said that one family used to cooked this sauce with freshwater fish on a regular basis. One day, there was no fish in the kitchen amidst the wife was rushing to cook for the husband. And so she took the left over sauce and cooked it with meats. Immediately her family loves it and eventually the story spread among the neighborhood and hence got its name, Yu Xiang – Fish flavored.
| Serve 2 | Difficulty Medium | Prep. Time 15 Min | Cooking Time 30 Min | Total Time 45 Min |
130g of Chili Douban Sauce
50g of Chopped Garlic
50g of Chopped Ginger
80g of Pickled Chili Pepper
6tbsp of Black Vinegar
5tbsp of Sugar
8tbsp of Cooking Oil
200ml of Water
- Peel and clean garlic and ginger. Chopped these two ingredient with knife or if you have blender, simple blend them with a blender.
- Drain pickled chili pepper from jar and finely chop or blend.
- Prepare ingredients as stated above.
- Preheat pan with 8 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Switch to low heat and add chopped ginger. Thoroughly stir fry.
- Add chopped garlic and stir fry to aromatic fragrance (browning, refer to video below).
- Add chopped pickled chili peppers and thoroughly stir fry.
- Add chili douban sauce and briefly stir fry.
- Add 200ml of water and switch to high heat.
- Add black vinegar and sugar into mixture.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Continuously scrap the bottom to prevent burn.
- Reduce until a thick consistency and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a jar and let it cool down in room temperature before storing in the refrigerator.
The amount of garlic, ginger, pickled chili peppers and chili douban sauce can be reduce to your preferences with the portioning of 1:1
I am sorry that this post was not helpful for you!
Help me improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?