I actually think that many restaurants are not able to make their pork knuckle good, well, don’t get me wrong, the broth is good, but the flavors just could not penetrate into the thick layer of meat, making the meat rather bland. However, during my short period of stay in Guangzhou, I learned from a renowned Guangzhou Chef on the techniques to allow the flavors to penetrate into the layers of pork knuckle.
The Ultimate Pork Knuckle Recipe in Best Spiced Broth!
Often when I had pork braised in pork broth, I am always unsatisfied with the pork flavor. I always thought that the flavor of the broth never really penetrates into the meat of the pork, no matter how good the broth is. When I was pondering upon this, I come to thought why don’t I try this technique that was thought to me by a Guangzhou chef – Chef Ming. I tried it and it works! The flavor penetrates into the meat really well and here it is, I am sharing it with you guys!
资源 ： Youtube
Pork Knuckle Overnight in Spiced Broth Recipe
- 600 克 Pork Knuckle (chopped)
- 5 颗 大蒜
- 2 颗 洋葱 (red onion for better flavor)
- 2 件 Star Anise
- 1 汤匙 Peppercorn
- 1 茶匙 黑胡椒 (crushed)
- 2 件 月桂叶
- 3 汤匙 Soy Sauce
- 3 汤匙 Fish Sauce
- 1 汤匙 糖
- 1 茶匙 盐
- 1 汤匙 Thick Soy Sauce
- 2 liters 水
- Clean and rinse chopped pork knuckle. Strain and set aside.
- Peel the onion and cut into halves.
- Cut garlic into halves.
- Prepare the other ingredients
- Preheat a stockpot with cooking oil, with low heat, pan-fry red onion, and garlic to brown. Set aside browned red onion and garlic.
- Add cooking oil to the stockpot. With low heat, add crushed black pepper, peppercorn, star anise, and bay leaf. Toss them to aromatic fragrance.
- Add browned red onion and garlic into the pot and thoroughly stir them.
- Switch to high heat and add soy sauce.
- Add water to deglaze. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Skim away all the foam.
- Keep covered and simmer for 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, season broth with fish sauce, sugar, salt, and thick soy sauce.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Then keep in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat the next day before serving.
- Flavor penetration intensifies when the meat is left in the broth overnight. This way, the meat would not become too soft.
- The broth can be kept and reuse to cook the next batch of pork knuckles or meat. Keep broth in the freezer.