The craves for Taiwan Beef Noodle Soup was real when I was spending my time as a private chef in Taiwan. Due to my cravings, I decided to go ahead in an attempt to replicate this Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup recipe! Read more on Taiwan Beef Noodle Recipe!
What type of noodles is Taiwanese Beef Noodle?
Well, to begin with, there is plenty of variety of beef noodle soup throughout the whole world. To name a few, there is this Vietnamese Pho, Hong Kong Beef Brisket Noodle, Tomato Beef Noodle, and lots more (my craves for beef noodle is real), the Taiwanese version is the red braised soup base. Where is the soup is made from sauteeing the beef cubes with some tomato sauce.
What is the Key for a Good Beef Soup?
What does it take to make the best beef noodle? Of course, the raw ingredients, more importantly, the beef quality itself, the quality of the soup all depends on the quality of the meat. Whereas in Taiwan, their local beef quality is actually pretty good. If you could not get your hands on Taiwanese beef (I think they export their beef abroad), worry not, I made this recipe with USDA beef, which I think is easily accessible to many people is many countries in the world.
Best Red Braised Beef Noodle
Red braised or “Hong Shao”, is when soy sauce is added during the process of making the soup and this red braised beef noodle soup was invented in Taiwan. I did some research to find out what makes Taiwanese Beef Soup Noodle different from the others? To my findings besides using good quality meats, they actually added a little bit of tomato sauce into the soup which makes it slightly red in color and also improves overall aroma!
In order to find out the best recipe, I actually went around asking my Taiwanese friends and they shared their family recipe with me, which I combine all of it into a master recipe below!
Red Braised Beef Noodle is Taiwanese dish created during the civil war era in the Kaohsiung area. There is variety of beef noodle around the world and here are some of the well known beef noodle – clear soup beef noodle, beef brisket beef noodle, Vietnamese Pho, red braised beef noodle, tomato beef noodle and I believe there is plenty more variation that I have not come across. Anyhow, here is my take to the Taiwanese Red Braised Beef Noodle!
资源 ： 维基百科
- 500 克 Beef Chuck
- 1 杯 Carrot
- 1 杯 Radish
- 2 汤匙 Bean Paste (Dou Ban Sauce or Taucu)
- 3 汤匙 Tomato Sauce (options – Ketchup or Tomato Paste)
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 2 件 Star Anise
- 2 件 月桂叶
- 1/2 茶匙 Clove
- 1/2 茶匙 Five Spice Powder
- 1 chunk 姜
- 2 liters 水
- 5 汤匙 Soy Sauce
- 3 汤匙 食油
- 适量 盐
- 适量 糖
- Cut beef into cubes.
- Cut red carrot and radish in to bite-size.
- Clean and roughly cut ginger with skin on.
- Preheat stockpot with cooking oil.
- Add beef cubes and sear to brown.
- Switch heat to medium and add cut ginger and fry to aromatic.
- Add cinnamon stick, clove, star anise, bay leaf, and five spice powder in and lightly toss it.
- Add tomato sauce and bean paste and thoroughly fry it.
- Add soy sauce and then switch heat to high.
- Add water.
- Add red carrot and radish. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, taste the broth and season with salt and sugar to your personal preferences.
- Serve with hand-pulled noodles and chopped scallion over it. (Make your own noodles at home)
I am sorry that this post was not helpful for you!
Help me improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?