This steamed chicken recipe of mine is an authentic Shunde recipe pass down by my late mother. This steamed chicken recipe was also one of the best sellers during the days when my father still runs his Keong Kee Restaurant. Believe it or not, this recipe of mine was also featured in our local newspaper, The Star2.
Innovating Once a Best Seller Chicken Recipe
As I mentioned earlier that this is an authentic Shunde recipe, did you know that Shunde province, China was regarded as the founding land of Cantonese cuisine?
In the early 1900s, Hong Kong was well known all across Asia to have the best Chinese cuisine, and their secret, all their chef is Shunde people from Mainland China. Hence the reason why Shunde cuisine was regarded as the founding of Cantonese cuisine.
Today, Shunde cuisine became very well known to many Chinese, it is undeniable their level of culinary cannot be underestimated, and its popularity has gained traction here in Malaysia. This Steamed Chicken Recipe was passed down by my grandfather, a Shunde immigrant to Malaysia, to my grandmother and then to my mother. Today I am sharing this hearty recipe with you.
My late mother was a descendant of the Shunde region, it was she who proposed this chicken dish to be added on the menu. My mother says this dish is originated from the Shunde region, China. We used to chop up the chicken into smaller pieces before steaming it, so we can serve our customers more efficiently. However in this recipe, I play a little with the presentation, and still, with the same original Keong Kee Restaurant’s recipe, I believe I manage to make it much more interesting.
资源 ： Baidu
Authentic Shunde Steamed Chicken Recipe
- 1 kg Chicken (or half a chicken)
- 100 克 Dried Lily Buds
- 50 克 Dried Cloud Ear Fungus
- 2 汤匙 Oyster Sauce
- 1 汤匙 Soy Sauce
- 1 汤匙 Fish Sauce
- 1 茶匙 Thick Soy Sauce
- 1 汤匙 食用油
- 100 克 姜
- 1 汤匙 Goji berries （可选）
- 1 汤匙 Shao Xing Wine
- 1 stalk Spring Onion (garnish)
- For the chicken, with a large mixing bowl, add oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, thick soy sauce, and cooking oil. Evenly mix together the marinade and set aside.
- For the dried lily buds, soak in a bowl of water. Once the lily buds have softened, tie them into a knot, and cut off the hard tip. Change the water and set aside.
- For the dried cloud ear fungus, soak in a bowl of water. Once the cloud ear fungus has softened, cut away any hard areas, and cut them into about 1 inch X 1 inch. Change the water and set aside.
- For the ginger, clean and peel the skin. Cut half of the ginger into julienne. While the other half, crush and finely chop. Sprinkle a pinch of salt to the chopped ginger, mix it and squeeze ginger juice into chicken marinate.
- Mix chicken well with the ginger juice.
- For the spring onion, separate the white stalk and the green part by cutting it. Gently cut the green part into julienne. Cut the white stalk into spring onion garnish (refer to video).
- Prepare the other ingredients accordingly.
- Bring a steamer to a full boil.
- With a steaming tray, place lily buds and cloud ear fungus separately as a base layer.
- Then gently place the marinated chicken on top and also pour all the marinate in as well.
- In a heap, sprinkle the julienned ginger over the chicken.
- Steam the chicken for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, check the doneness of the chicken. If chicken is cooked, remove from heat. Otherwise, steam for another 10 minutes.
- Gently brush off the julienned ginger and transfer chicken to a chopping board.
- Separately, strain lily buds and cloud ear fungus from the gravy and put in a container.
- For the gravy, add goji berries and slightly reduce it with a cooking pan.
Plate and Serve
- With a clean plate, place cloud ear fungus on one side of the plate.
- Then place lily buds next to the cloud ear fungus.
- Chop chicken into separate parts of whole chicken leg, chicken wings, and chicken breast.
- Begin chopping the chicken breast and place the chicken breast on top of the cloud ear fungus and lily buds.
- Follow by chicken wings and place it slightly above the chicken breast.
- Then whole chicken leg and place it above the chicken breast to cover it.
- Drizzle the gravy on the chopped chicken.
- Garnish with spring onion and serve.