A good foundation for Pho Recipe is made from a good amount of meat and bones, luckily for me who had never been to Vietnam has a Vietnamese roommate during my stay in Taipei where he shared what it takes to make a good Pho recipe, here I am sharing them with you!
What does Pho stand for?
Pho is a Vietnamese Noodle Soup which is reduced over hours of simmering into an aromatic broth served with rice noodles, meats (could be beef or chicken), and fresh herbs! It was said that Pho was invented through cross-culture between Vietnamese, French, and Cantonese in the early 1900s.
Pho Recipe Secret from a Vietnamese Friend
On a regular day, I was having a conversation with my Vietnamese roommate, I got curious and asked him if he knew how to cook Pho, he got all excited and told me about how his mother used to cook them for him back in Vietnam. The important ingredients for a potent pot of Pho broth are the meat, bones, and herbs, but there is not where it stops, it needed to be paired with fresh herbs during eating to complete the whole flavor profile of a bowl of authentic pho noodle soup. So I follow his guidance and created one with local ingredients in Taipei, the end result is a bowl of aromatic sweet beefy broth with fresh herbs dancing on your palate!
Pho is a Vietnamese soup, cooked with herbs and meat, usually beef and sometimes chicken, topped with fresh herbs, scallion and bean sprout. I created this recipe out of the blue by request from a good friend of mine who loves Vietnamese food! Here is how you can cook pho when you are abroad!
资源 ： 维基百科
Pho Beef Broth
- 500 克 Beef Brisket
- 500 克 Flank Steak
- 2 件 Chicken Carcasses
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 6 件 Star Anise
- 1 杯 葱头
- 2 chunk 姜 (crushed)
- 1/2 茶匙 Five Spice Powder (or 1/2 tsp of Cardamon Pod)
- 1 汤匙 Rock Sugar
- 适量 Fish Sauce
- 适量 盐
- 适量 糖
- 8 liters 水
- Flat Rice Noodle (Rice Noodle)
- Thai Basil （可选）
- Spring Onion (optional - Scallion)
- Bean Sprout
To Make Pho Beef Broth
- Cut beef brisket into 1/2 inches in length and set aside.
- Cut flank steak into half and thinly slice half of it while leaving the other half for the broth.
- Prepare a large pot and fill it with 8 liters of water. Bring to a boil.
- As the water is heating up, add beef brisket, whole chunk of flank steak, chicken carcasses, cinnamon stick, star anise, shallots, ginger, and five spice powder.
- Add rock sugar and lightly season with fish sauce and salt.
- As it is heating up, continuously skimming away any foam that shows up.
- Once it reached boiling point, reduce to a simmer and keep covered for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the chicken carcass and discard. Transfer beef brisket and chunk of flank steak to another container.
- Give the broth a taste and season with fish sauce, salt, and sugar to your personal preference.
- Prepare a bowl of rice noodles or flat rice noodles.
- Slice the chunk of flank steak and add a few pieces on top of the rice noodle.
- Also, add beef brisket and raw slices of flank steak on top of the rice noodle.
- Pour in hot broth, the broth should cook the raw flank steak.
- Top it up with chopped coriander, chopped spring onion, bean sprout, and Thai basil.
- Serve with condiments.
I am sorry that this post was not helpful for you!
Help me improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?