Yu Xiang Eggplant is one of my favorite dishes whenever I dine in at a Sichuan Restaurant, soft braised eggplant with tangy, hot, and the slightly sourish flavor will keep you going for an extra bowl of rice. This Sichuanese Yu Xiang Eggplant is so simple to cook and yet so amazingly delicious!
One of the usages of the Sichuan Yu Xiang sauce is the Yu Xiang Qie Zi, which literally means fish-flavored eggplant. Excellent addition to your family dinner as the braised eggplant absorb all the goodness of the Yu Xiang flavor!
Sichuan Yu Xiang Eggplant Recipe
- 400 克 Eggplant
- 50 克 Salted Fish
- 2 汤匙 Sichuan Yu Xiang Sauce
- 2 汤匙 食用油
- 800 ml 水
- Spring Onion (for garnish)
- Clean and cut eggplant into rectangular sizes.
- Soak eggplant in a bowl of water.
- Cut salted fish into cubes.
- Prepare the other ingredients.
- Preheat the pan with cooking oil.
- Add salted fish into the pan and pan-fry at low heat to aromatic fragrance.
- Add Sichuan Yu Xiang Sauce and stir-fry at medium heat.
- Add water into the pan and switch to high heat.
- Bring to a boil and let it boil as you reduce at high heat.
- Reduce until it begins thickened, check the eggplant, and see if it is soft enough.
- If it is not soft enough, add another 200ml of water and reduce to thicken, then check the softness.
- When it is soft enough, remove from heat and serve.
- Pan-frying salted fish gives it extra aromatic fragrance. However, salted fish tend to burn easily, so always fry them at low temperatures.
- Eggplant is easily oxidize, becoming black, so to prevent this, simply soak them in a bowl of water.