In the West, it is known as Shrimp Fried Rice, meanwhile, in the East, it is commonly known as Yangzhou Fried Rice. With my years of experience in the kitchen, where I will be sharing with you my pro tips on what are the key elements to take note when you fry rice!
Important Elements to Note for a Fried Rice
Let me make this real simple, the important things to take note to make a bowl of good fried rice are;
- The rice must be well cooked but not too wet.
- Hence the reason why most Chinese would say, use overnight rice to cook, they would turn out nicer.
- The correct amount of oil is used.
- Under usage of oil, you fried rice end up being too dry, while over usage of oil, you end up with rice soak in excessive oil. The oil amount has to be just enough to cover the rice giving each individual rice a great shine!
- Usage of Egg(s).
- The aroma from eggs does make the entire rice dish to a much better standard, I did try before cooking them without eggs, the result, not good.
Shrimp Fried Rice + Golden Fried Rice
So to elevate this rice dish, I replace the basic white rice with golden fried rice, where each individual grain of rice is covered with the egg which creates a really aromatic rice dish. Using that to cook Shrimp Fried Rice and this brings the entire rice dish to new heights!
Author have a say…
Yangzhou Fried Rice is one of the most common and simplest fried rice you will mostly find in most Chinese restaurant. The basic ingredients are plain white rice, char siew or any sort of barbecue meat, green peas or chopped scallion and red carrot. However to bring this dish to the next level, I’ve incorporated golden fried rice in Yangzhou fried rice, the result is fluffy and eggy-aromatic fried rice. Here it is guys, check it out! (Also check out the basic to fried rice here)
Source : Wiki
Fried Rice Recipe both Yangzhou and Golden Fried Rice in One
- 1.5 bowl White Rice
- 2 nos Egg
- 100 g Char Siew (options : Barbecue Meat, Roast Meat)
- 50 g Carrot
- 3 pcs Shrimp (peeled)
- 2 stalk Scallion
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 dash White Pepper Powder
This is a free content
I have to run Ads
- Cut char siew and red carrot into cubes and keep them separately.
- To preseason your wok for a non-stick surface, preheat with cooking oil. Then remove the hot oil and add 2 tbsp of cold oil.
- To cook golden fried rice, switch heat to medium, and add rice. Thoroughly stir fry the rice to allow the oil to coat the rice.
- Add egg and stir to mix to allow the egg to coat the rice. As you mix, press and spread the rice to break off any rice lump.
- Once the rice is well individually separated, transfer to a container.
- Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil and add an egg. Scramble it.
- Then add char siew cubes and then add the golden fried rice back in. Thoroughly mix them.
- Then add red carrot and thoroughly stir fry.
- Season with salt, soy sauce, and white pepper powder. Continue stir-frying until rice grain begins to jump around the wok.
- Add chopped scallion and thoroughly stir fry to mix them.
- Transfer to a plate and in a heap sprinkle more chopped scallion, and serve!
*These Nutritional Values have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration
Think I did a great job? Here is how you can support me…
I am sorry that this post was not helpful for you!
Help me improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?