The best Scallion Pancake has to have layers that make up the interior similar to a croissant, otherwise, it is not a good Scallion Pancake and it has to be flaky, crispy edges yet slightly chewy in the center, a hint of spices, and of course the scallion flavors!
Cong You Bing – A Chinese Unleavened Flatbread
“葱油饼” pronounced as cōng yóu bǐng, which means Scallion Oil Pancake, is a Chinese unleavened flatbread that is folded with oil which gives them the unique layers. It is considered as a snack as they are commonly sold as street food. Now, they are also widely available in supermarkets in the frozen section.
Scallion Pancakes Hack!
A good scallion pancakes, as I have mentioned earlier, it has to have flaky layers in the between them. During my stay in Taiwan, I did plenty of research into this delicate pancake and found out a hack that would guarantee you to get those layers! How? The best way to create the flaky layers is to twist the dough as you fold them. Watch my Youtube video below to find out how to do the twisting technique!
Author have a say…
I was thinking of some fun recipe to make, something that brings memories from traveling and since I am at a place where I am unfamiliar with, so I thought of why not make some of their local delicacy and Scallion Pancake come across my mind. As the first time I went overseas when I was a kid with my family, was to Hangzhou and we sat by the roadside drinking hot soy milk and munching on some scallion pancake. So here it is guys, Scallion Pancake from my childhood memories.
Source : Wiki
Scallion Pancakes Recipe
- Rolling Pin
- 2 cup All Purpose Flour (medium strength protein)
- 1 cup Water (warm)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 stalk Scallion (chopped)
- to sprinkle Salt
- to sprinkle Five Spice Powder
- to brush Oil
This is a free content
I have to run Ads
To make the dough
- Into a large mixing bowl, add all purpose flour and salt in.
- Then mix with a fork and add warm water in a little at a time. Mix until the dough begins to stick.
- If the dough is too moist, add a little flour and knead or if it is too dry, add a little more warm water and knead.
- Add cooking oil into the dough and knead with your hands. Knead until the oil has folded into the dough.
- Then apply a layer of oil on the outer layer of the dough and keep the dough covered with cling wrap or a damp cloth.
- Let rest for 60 minutes.
To make Pancakes and add fillings
- After 60 minutes, lightly flour your working table and transfer your dough onto the flour.
- Gently roll your dough into an elongated shape and cut into 6 pieces.
- Lightly flour the dough and use your palm to thoroughly flatten the dough.
- Then use a rolling pin and roll the dough to a thin sheet.
- Sprinkle salt and five spice powder on the dough sheet and spread them out with your hand.
- Then add a tbsp of cooking oil and spread it.
- Then sprinkle chopped scallion in a heap.
- Begin rolling the dough sheet from one corner to another corner. As you roll the dough, try to remove air pockets.
- Once you had rolled into an elongated shape, lightly rolling to again to lengthen it.
- Then twist the elongated dough by pushing one end and pulling the other end.
- Then twist in the dough to form a neat spiral with the end tip fold to the bottom.
- Leave the dough to rest as you work on the other dough.
Pan-Frying Scallion Pancakes
- Lightly oil the surface of the spiral dough and flatten it with your palm.
- Then use the rolling pin to roll it into a round thin sheet.
- Preheat pan to medium heat with cooking oil, transfer rolled dough into the pan.
- Pan-fry both sides until golden and crispy. Eat Hot!