Type of Borscht Soup
- Made with bone or meat stock as a base, with beet sour, vegetables like cabbage, carrots, onions, tomatoes, turnip parsley roots, etc, and some aromatic herbs and spices.
- – This borscht is served with pieces of beef, ham, and Vienna Sausages.
- – with meatballs
- – with dried smelt (a type of fish) from local lakes.
- – with marinated Kelp
- – the vegetables are cut into square or diamond shape instead of julienned
The distinctive characteristic of their borscht is ruby-colored beetroot bouillon, made with meat and vegetable stock with wild mushroom broth and beet sour.
It is believed that this version of borscht originated from Lithuania, comes in bring pinkishly color, consist of beet sour, or beet juice with sour cream, buttermilk, kefir, yogurt or sour milk as the base, boiled with beetroot, green onions, radish, and cucumbers. As the name says, they are served cold.
Borscht soup without beets is made by adding sour-tasting ingredients, such as sour cream, sorrel vegetables, fermented flour or wheat with water, whey, buttermilk, and animal blood mixed with vinegar.
Chinese Borscht Soup
The Chinese Borscht Soup originated from Harbin but made famous in Hong Kong with the main ingredients of tomatoes and beef broth.
Author have a say…
I have always like to order myself a bowl of borscht soup whenever I visited at Hong Kong cafe. In Hong Kong, they are famously known as “lou song tang”. Some of them serve really a well-cooked soup, some of them are terrible. Borscht Soup contains lots of ingredients, and it is pretty straightforward to make them yourself at home. Though the ingredient list is pretty similar to minestrone soup, as both of them are tomato-based soup. However, they do taste pretty different to your palate. My version of borscht soup will not disappoint you, Promise!
Source : Wiki
Hong Kong Style Borscht Soup Recipe
- 400 g Beef (shank, loin, or round can be used)
- 200 g Carrot
- 150 g Onion (white)
- 50 g Potato
- 400 g Tomato
- 150 g Celery
- 40 g Garlic
- 40 g Ginger
- 300 g Tomato Paste
- 300 g Ketchup
- 2 pcs Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- 4 liters Water
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
This is a free content
I have to run Ads
- Cut beef into a cube.
- Clean and peel the carrot, white onion, potato, celery, garlic, and ginger.
- Cut the carrot, white onion, potato, tomato, ginger, and celery into uniform size for soup cooking.
- Crush garlic.
- Prepare the other ingredients accordingly.
- With a soup pot, preheat cooking oil.
- Add ginger and fry to aromatic.
- Add beef cubes and sear.
- Add tomato paste and then add water.
- Add carrot, white onion, potato, tomato, celery, garlic, ketchup, bay leaf, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Keep covered and simmer for 4 hours.
- Season with salt and sugar.
- Dissolves seasoning.
- Add oregano and thoroughly mix.
- Remove from heat and serve.
*These Nutritional Values have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration
Think I did a great job? Here is how you can support me…
I am sorry that this post was not helpful for you!
Help me improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?